Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ryan Kwan Do


Today was my fifth session of Ryan Kwan Do -- Ryan Whited's training program to make old, burnt out, extremely out of balance, injured and sometimes overweight climbers (and people) back into shape. Well, at least that is the definition for myself. By using muscles we've not used in years and building our core I am hoping to become like Ryan-Kwan-Do, a lean, not mean, heck of a machine!
(see photo of Ryan with his class)

Today the highlight was tug-of-war, me against two burly men. I was amazed at my supa powers whereby I was able to haul Ryan and Fraaanc across the small floor of our workout spot. I know they weren't giving me their all, and I was unable to breath when it was nearing the end, but I still had a smile on my face.


I am often frightened of these workouts, partly because I make a fool of myself, but in the end I feel energized, tho' sore and tired.

(Here's another pic of Ryan with one of his students. You can see this guy never had any muscles to begin with so anything he does with Ryan is a real score. )

We are doing our workouts with the Voodoo crew - Frank (pronounced FrAAAnC) & Gina from Voodoo Holds, also our closest friends here in Flag. Doing the workout with them makes it much easier to deal with the pain, as we are laughing (and crying) for the majority of the sesh.


That's it for today. I have a lot of crap to say, but don't feel like doing it right now because I'm not paying attention because I'm watching a movie. Thanks for tuning in. I will leave you with a few more photos of Ryan-Kwan-Do...