Saturday, August 23, 2008

Climbing, Climbing, that's all I ever think about...


I'm a wreck from trying to buy this house. Four offers and runarounds that I would have never imagined. I think I'm losing hair and I've had a headache for four days. Still waiting to see if the bank signs the counter offer that they sent us and we signed last week...

We discovered a new old area here and I've been so excited about it. All I want to do is climb. Climbing has always been my saving grace during stressful times. But actually, I've been amped since our vacation in Durango. This spot is located up on the mountain, but not too far from the car. Tho it is far enough to be completely quiet and serene. We've only been there twice and have had it to ourselves both times. It is sporty and technical. I can't explain the routes, but they are pretty much the most fun I've ever had in Flagstaff.

I have really let myself get out of shape for climbing in the past few years. But I've sort of rediscovered the things I love about it and am motivated to pursue my interests. These past weeks I've watched some local ladies pulling down. It inspired me and made me feel excited like a kid again, like I used to feel about climbing when I first began. The difference is, I want to climb both bouldering and routes now. I don't know how that will work in being able to accomplish my goals in both, but I'm going to go for it. I work so much better when I have goals.

Today was the best day I've had in a long time. Rich and I climbed at that special place. At the end he was cleaning a route because there was a lot of thunder and dark clouds. It was so quiet and green with flourishing green grass and plants all soft on my feet and ankles. Then the thunder pounded so loud it was not even scary. It consumed us, feeling magical, like a gift. Soon we saw a big curtain of rain heading toward us and ran down the mountain to the car.

When home we fell asleep on the couch and relaxed for several hours. We took a shower and then decided to go for a hike to look for Secret Canyon. We made it most of the way up the mountain and could see the crag, obvious because an enormous boulder sits between two of the walls. I mean BIG, but could not get there. A yucca stabbed my leg and actually broke off in it. It wasn't as bad as it sounds, just to give an idea about how overgrown the trail was. We wondered back finding some cool boulders and Rich made fish tacos for dinner. I made my home made salsa. A really nice break from our stressful week.