Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 6 of Vaca - Double Duty

The Limestone of the Golf Wall: Oh so nice...
I woke up at 6:30 a.m. Originally we had planned just to boulder today, but before I went to bed I started looking at the Golf Wall topo and decided I really needed to go there. I told Rich he didn't have to climb, but I really wished he would go... actually I was probably more pushy than that. He got out of bed and before I knew it I was climbing steep, slick sandstone. It was sooo nice!

This is the only photo we have of the Golf Wall. Rich is showing the locals the old fashioned way to stick clip with a real stick.

While cleaning one of the routes I swung back and stabbed my back with the branch of a very large, dead pine tree. I guess it's been awhile since I climbed anything that steep and had to be aware of stuff like that.

We climbed until the sun hit the ledge and then rested until it got cool outside again.

Turtle Lake Bouldering: more deeelicious Sandstone
There wasn't a bad boulder problem there. Everything from short, tall, steep, slabby, aretes! Really nice and right next to the road. The locals are super nice!


You can really see here how much Rich digs the sandstone. One happy man!


Rich on a hard high ball, but not his highest high ball of the day.


Rich falling off the high ball. Look at those landing techniques. 9.99


I think Champy was starting to get tired, between all the kid-love and two different climbing areas, he was just plumb knackered. Durango is very Dog Friendly so Chopper was friendly.


There's nothing but classics here!


Showy!


Rich on really cool roof/arete problem


Rox on another arete


Suz stylin' another arete - I love aretes!


Rich did the full arete traverse

Suzanne on are really cool slopey arete. Rich got scared while she was climbing,
but she was SOLID!

shew that was a long day. better rest up for the big mtn bike ride tomorrow